My interest are in condensed matter theory with an emphasis on geometrical and topological properties of soft materials. Recent research encompasses liquid crystals, granular media and glasses, polymers, non-linear hydrodynamics, active matter and mechanical metamaterials. Often the rich phenomenology of these many body systems arises from the interplay between strong non-linearities, disorder and physics far from equilibrium that I explore using analytical and numerical tools in close collaboration with experimentalists.
- Dualities and non-Abelian mechanics, Michel Fruchart, Yujie Zhou, Vincenzo Vitelli, Nature (in press), arXiv:1904.07436.
- Odd elasticity, Colin Scheibner, Anton Souslov, Debarghya Banerjee, Piotr Surowka, William T. M. Irvine, Vincenzo Vitelli, arXiv:1902.07760.
- Topological Protection Can Arise from Thermal Fluctuations and Interactions, Ricardo Pablo Pedro, Jayson Paulose, Anton Souslov, Mildred Dresselhaus, Vincenzo Vitelli, Physical Review Letters 122, 118001 (2019), arXiv:1803.04951.
- Topological sound in active-liquid metamaterials, Anton Souslov, Benjamin C. van Zuiden, Denis Bartolo, Vincenzo Vitelli, Nature Physics 13, 1091--1094 (2017), arXiv:1610.06873.
- Odd viscosity in chiral active fluids, Debarghya Banerjee, Anton Souslov, Alexander G. Abanov, Vincenzo Vitelli, Nature Communications 8, (2017), arXiv:1702.02393.
- Spatiotemporal order and emergent edge currents in active spinner materials, Benjamin C. van Zuiden, Jayson Paulose, William T. M. Irvine, Denis Bartolo, Vincenzo Vitelli, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113, 12919-12924 (2016), arXiv:1606.03934.
- Geared Topological Metamaterials with Tunable Mechanical Stability, Anne S. Meeussen, Jayson Paulose, Vincenzo Vitelli, Phys. Rev. X 6, 041029 (2016), arXiv:1602.08769.
- Topological modes bound to dislocations in mechanical metamaterials, Jayson Paulose, Bryan G. Chen, Vincenzo Vitelli, Nature Physics 11, 153--156 (2015), arXiv:1406.3323.
- Nonlinear conduction via solitons in a topological mechanical insulator, Bryan G. Chen, Nitin Upadhyaya, Vincenzo Vitelli, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 111, 13004-13009 (2014), arXiv:1404.2263.